• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the "you even lift br0" thread

Top_Cat

That too. Lot of guys sinking pre and post-workout protein shakes after reading on the totally sciencey T-Nation that their gainz are wasted otherwise when, really, the amount of proteins they're drinking they're basically pissing out most of it. Like everyone who does no more than a 10K and sinks a litre of Gatorade, unless you're lifting at near-professional levels, it's just unneccessary. And, I might add, really bloody expensive. Yes, whey proteins are optimal, yes, BCAAs help a lot, yes, creatine will help a lot, no, you're not going to use them anywhere near perfectly/effectively unless you're also lifting heaps and often. Accept it, save your cash and just make sure you're getting what you need from food and maybe supplement some.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah it's a form of meditiation in itself. Puts you on a different plane of thinking after a solid workout and a shower, stupid distractions like facebook and online interest forums become easier to resist...
speak for yourself. back when i went to the gym i craved mcdonalds like you won't believe straight after.

same when i was running.

and the same after a ride.

maybe i just have a mcdonalds addiction.

Bahnz

Use to go to the gym pretty seriously. Started out at 68 kg (I'm 188 cm), and gradually built my self up over 18 months to a less anorexic 80kg. Then I started being a swimming buddy for a friend who goes to the pool for therapeutic reasons, and I skinnied back up as I don't really have the time for gym anymore. Do miss the light-headed feeling after finishing a workout,

ripper868

I only went to the gym for rehab, now I don't go go go.

Play sport reasonably regularly, I could be more buff etc but CBA since I'm not playing any full contact sports any more. Struggle for gym motivation, just don't get the meditative feeling that others get, I do get t that meditative feeling from running though.

hendrix

Idk man, 7x a week full bodies? Overkill?
i'm really bored so nah.

That too. Lot of guys sinking pre and post-workout protein shakes after reading on the totally sciencey T-Nation that their gainz are wasted otherwise when, really, the amount of proteins they're drinking they're basically pissing out most of it. Like everyone who does no more than a 10K and sinks a litre of Gatorade, unless you're lifting at near-professional levels, it's just unneccessary. And, I might add, really bloody expensive. Yes, whey proteins are optimal, yes, BCAAs help a lot, yes, creatine will help a lot, no, you're not going to use them anywhere near perfectly/effectively unless you're also lifting heaps and often. Accept it, save your cash and just make sure you're getting what you need from food and maybe supplement some.
want to like this twice.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I run. Cousin's a personal trainer so I'm going to get him to smash me around the gym next week so I've got decent cross training ideas. Right now I'm just doing bodyweight routines and swimming to complement it as I build the mileage back up, been injured on/off basically all year.

cpr

It's hurt me every weekend for the last decade. I've now got the full barrel

cpr

I'm about 177cm and 85-88kg's at the mo. Even at my healthiest I wasn't anything below 70. Doubt now I'd ever get below 75 again. I'm blessed with rather strong and quite muscular legs, just **** all in the way of knees!

Have a hatred of being in the gym, just find it so hard to motivate myself in there. Didn't mind running on the road but my knee just wont allow it at the mo.

Burner

You can do a pretty good workout at home with a few dumbbells and a pull up bar. Add a bucket load of push ups and crunches to the mix and you are on your way to become Bruce-lee-ripped. They might not be as efficient as the equipment in gyms, and you might actually have to go to a gym to get bigger, but you can stay lean and cut with just them, which is better than not doing anything I guess.

GotSpin

Just started going to the gym for the first time last week so this is a well timed thread.

I went to Indonesia and Was living in an island With not a great amount of food. While surfing, I lost around 8 or 9 kilos leaving me at 68 kilos and I am 6.1.

Hadnt Been that skinny in a long time. Still pretty weak so just starting from a low point!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would agree it's actually more important. Heaps of fat dudes doing great stuff at the gym but letting themselves down with their diet.
Probably doing the opposite to them. Have started half marathon training and I'm currently operating a low carb diet.

Main reason being that I've spent a lot of the last 6 months nursing various niggles which means I haven't been training as well and my diet's been **** so I'm trying to rapidly shrink down again; theory being the less weight I'm carrying in 3 months time the faster I'll be. Longer term, the more I can train my body to utilise fat reserves, the easier marathon running should be.

Days of Grace

I'm 176cm, 77kg, with a 90cm waist.

I have a goal of 69kg and a 79cm waist.

Will pumping iron mixed with some cardio help me achieve this or should I focus mainly on cardio?

I guess that changing my diet and cutting out the ****ty food will go a long way as well.

wellAlbidarned

If literally all you want to do is lose weight and you don't care about aesthetics then diet and cardio will do the trick. You don't sound all that big to begin with tbh.

hendrix

Will pumping iron mixed with some cardio help me achieve this or should I focus mainly on cardio?

I guess that changing my diet and cutting out the ****ty food will go a long way as well.
you cannot spot reduce fat. If you simply lose 8kg you will probably achieve your goal (you will be equally skinnier everywhere else). That is entirely down to diet. You do not need to lift weights if you don't want to. But I think it would be a good idea and will help you to lose weight faster as you'll burn more calories.

When going on a diet, you can quite quickly lose 8kg (in say 2 months), but in my experience roughly half of what you lose is actual fat, and the rest is water weight in your muscles (i.e. it comes back pretty quickly as soon as you get back into surplus).

Top_Cat

Yeah, as Albi said, it's all in the diet. It's not even about what you eat so much as how much. Exactly how much to cut back will take some experimentation and adjustment over time. My tactic was to cut dinner portion by 20%, lunch by 50%, no cut to breakfast at all. After losing the first 20Kg, I ended up cutting those portions in half. Will back daily weighing and tracking too. Do that and you'll lose ~200g/day or better although that you're already pretty small means you'll probably have smaller losses.

Exercise muddied the waters for me initially. I'd lose 200g but then gain 100g the next day or two or no loss or something. The reason is simple; when you exercise your muscles, they swell. This was compensated for a huge loss at the end of the week when I'd piss all the fluid out.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, myfitnesspal is a huge help for tracking your diet. Although I somehow only managed 1,300 calories yesterday despite having 3 square meals and hitting my protein macros.