• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the "you even lift br0" thread

wellAlbidarned

If there's already a fitness/gym douchebag thread, please point me to it. I've searched and can't find one.

I'm pretty new to the gym, started out at 6'2'' 74kg and did about eight months on stronglifts 5x5s, put on 6kg bodyweight and got my lifts to less-laughable levels (can squat 100kg for reps, bench 75kg, overhead 45kg. You don't even want to know where I started). Currently just started a four day split with more volume focus since I hit my low-rep limits.

So what do you guys do? Routines, maxes, advice etc etc. I've set the bar low.

hendrix

haven't been able to lift for a month due to appendicitis. It sucked.

I basically do full body workouts 4-7x per week.

One day might be something like:
Squat 5 sets 10 reps
Bench 5 sets 5-10 reps
Row 5 sets 10 reps
Shoulder dumbbell press 5 sets 10 reps
Pullups 5 sets 15 reps
Hamstring curls or stiff leg deadlifts 3 sets 15 reps
calf raises 3x15.

And another might be:
Deadlifts 5x5
Front squats 5x10
Incline bench 5x10
Dumbbell row 5x10
Hamstrings, calves, abs, curls for the girls if i cbf.

before my operation i deadlifted 215kg for a double, squatted 160kg for a double, benched 110kg for 5.

No idea what my numbers are now. I've lost a lot of core strength from having my torso opened up. Will probably take a while to get back up there.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Once saw someone wearing a t-shirt saying:

I'm all 'bout that weights, bout that weights, no treadmill

Floored me.

OverratedSanity

I'm a lazy slob who's fat enough to think about working out and realistically get a good physique but not fat enough to truly be motivated to do so.

hendrix

Some fair numbers there, hendrix. How long have/were you in the game?
on and off for about 4 years, but I got quite dedicated halfway through last year after getting a neck injury that prevented me from playing rugby.

Going back tonight for the first time. Can't freakin wait. It's one of those things that's become so ingrained in my schedule that losing it has really mucked up my time management. So much less ****ing around throughout the day if you've been to the gym in the morning.

wellAlbidarned

Yeah it's a form of meditiation in itself. Puts you on a different plane of thinking after a solid workout and a shower, stupid distractions like facebook and online interest forums become easier to resist...

Top_Cat

Lifted for about 5 years, started off with sets like 3x10s with a mix of compound and isolation exercises in the weights room, as I have the opposite problem to Albi (naturally big and get big quickly), all I did was get bulky. That was fine when I was playing sports but once I started running it became a big problem so eventually gave it away. Right before giving it away, was doing 5x5 pyramid sets and peaking at 130Kg on the bench, 150Kg squats and then doing a mix of real traditional stuff like skull crushers, drips, preacher curls and a mix of dumbell rows and things, my own weight peaking at 110Kg from a 95Kg start.

Since finishing, got sick of being heavy so started running and eating less, now down to 77Kg which I want to whittle down a bit more and maybe get back into some lifting. Current exercise regime is running 35Km/week, riding to uni, pushups (sometimes). Am under no illusions that I will be weak as piss on day 1, fully expecting to start on the bench well < 50Kg.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
I'm a lazy slob who's fat enough to think about working out and realistically get a good physique but not fat enough to truly be motivated to do so.
Heh. Been there. Noticed a belly forming for the first time in my life during Uni year 2. Began to gym. Was boring af. Decided to just up the amount of sports I do. Cricket, football, hockey, dodgeball, frisbee...

Still got a bit of a belly but nowhere near fat. Just trying to play as much as possible. Picking up martial arts now. I'm just too lazy/unmotivated to exercise unless it's fun.

Smudge

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sounds pretty much like me - I'm not fat per se, but I could definitely "refine" by 6-7kg. But cbf.

Daemon

Heh. Been there. Noticed a belly forming for the first time in my life during Uni year 2. Began to gym. Was boring af. Decided to just up the amount of sports I do. Cricket, football, hockey, dodgeball, frisbee...

Still got a bit of a belly but nowhere near fat. Just trying to play as much as possible. Picking up martial arts now. I'm just too lazy/unmotivated to exercise unless it's fun.
It's the Indian genes bro. There is actual evidence that Indians are significantly more predisposed to having slim arms and legs and a larger abdomen.

I've settled in to an acceptable weight and size for myself imo, i'm pretty short at 170 and weigh 68kgs. Gym twice a week and when Uni is on I play Softball, Cricket and Handball 4-5 times a week.

jan

I once lifted a 50 litres beer barrel. After I recovered from it I promised myself I would always have others lift stuff for me.

Swingpanzee

haven't been able to lift for a month due to appendicitis. It sucked.

I basically do full body workouts 4-7x per week.

One day might be something like:
Squat 5 sets 10 reps
Bench 5 sets 5-10 reps
Row 5 sets 10 reps
Shoulder dumbbell press 5 sets 10 reps
Pullups 5 sets 15 reps
Hamstring curls or stiff leg deadlifts 3 sets 15 reps
calf raises 3x15.

And another might be:
Deadlifts 5x5
Front squats 5x10
Incline bench 5x10
Dumbbell row 5x10
Hamstrings, calves, abs, curls for the girls if i cbf.

before my operation i deadlifted 215kg for a double, squatted 160kg for a double, benched 110kg for 5.

No idea what my numbers are now. I've lost a lot of core strength from having my torso opened up. Will probably take a while to get back up there.
Idk man, 7x a week full bodies? Overkill?

Swingpanzee

i'm sure everyone knows this but getting a good physique is just as much if not more about maintaining a good diet rather than strictly exercise.

wellAlbidarned

i'm sure everyone knows this but getting a good physique is just as much if not more about maintaining a good diet rather than strictly exercise.
It depends on your body type, composition, level of activity etc. Human metabolism is a really, really weird and varied thing.

Top_Cat

Would agree it's actually more important. Heaps of fat dudes doing great stuff at the gym but letting themselves down with their diet.