• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Cricketers from each country

bagapath

It is my firm belief that if anyone could score 10 centuries and claim 20 five-fers (or 20 centuries and 10 five-fers) he must be a God of cricket. Only one player managed to do that in 140 years of test cricket. If you relax the condition and make it 10 centuries and 10 five-fers still it is the same man on the list, all alone.

Ian Botham scored 14 test centuries and claimed 27 five wicket hauls in tests. Do not be fooled by the batting average of 33 and bowling average of 28 (which are also terrific by themselves).

You could expect Imran to run through any top order with his searing pace on any condition. And he would also be a tough batsman to dislodge, especially if his team is in trouble.

Hadlee is likely to dominate with the ball in every match he plays and bowl out the opposition on his own and also produce an innings of breathtaking stroke play once or twice in a series.

when it comes to match turning brilliance Miller and Kapil Dev are the kind of cricketers who would produce a spell that will take away the cream of the opposition or occasionally play a blistering cameo to turn a regular session into the most entertaining two hours of the year. Shaun Pollock would do the same, more with the ball and less frequently with the bat.

Sobers is the greatest batsman one could hope to see and he will show you the best stroke production possible at the wicket, and he would also produce occasional magic with his versatile bowling.

Kallis would match Sobers run for run, boundary for boundary, even if their styles are very different. His bowling was the perfect third seamer's act breaking partnerships at crucial points.

Ian Botham is the guy who will bowl out the opposition with his swing and bombast, and then bat like Adam Gilchrist scoring fast and big. And go back to take more wickets in the second innings. he is likely to do both in the match more often than any other cricketer in history. When he is not batting or bowling, he will pouch some blinders in the slips.

When another cricketer achieves the 10 centuries/ 20 five-fers or 20 centuries/ 10 five-fers combo, with a 30+ batting average and a 30- bowling average, then we will truly acknowledge what a champ Botham was.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

Omg Bagapath, I love you that you summed it up better than I ever could....Botham was the best and I thought the fact I'm an Aussie supporting an Englishman would have swing the argument lol.

bagapath

After 88 tests, the same number of matches Imran played in his entire career

Botham's figures were

88 4809 208 35.36 14 366 8/34 27.04 27 103

This is about 1000 runs and 4 wickets and 75 catches more than Imran's tally.

I still believe Imran has a claim to be the second greatest cricketer ever; he was as good a bowler as Truman Lillee McGrath and Marshall. And a way way better batsman than them all.

But it is okay to compare him and Botham on all-round abilities because they were actually on par for most of their careers, with botham being the clear leader from his debut till 1982 and Imran the winner from 1987 to his retirement.

Starfighter

Bottom's peak was stupidly good and even though he declined at a younger age thanks to packing on the pounds he's still a level or two above Kapil. Longevity is a nice thing but being less good for really long time doesn't make your less good better.

Test_Fan_Only

Botham's figures were

This is about 1000 runs and 4 wickets and 75 catches more than Imran's tally.

I still believe Imran has a claim to be the second greatest cricketer ever; he was as good a bowler as Truman Lillee McGrath and Marshall. And a way way better batsman than them all.

But it is okay to compare him and Botham on all-round abilities because they were actually on par for most of their careers, with botham being the clear leader from his debut till 1982 and Imran the winner from 1987 to his retirement.
So Imran ahead of Sobers?

Test_Fan_Only

Here we go...
I am not going to argue, I do not know enough to do so effectively. I have always been under the impression that Bradman was the best cricketer ever and Sobers was the 2nd best. I will admit I have been influenced by the fact I have heard a former teammate of Sobers in South Australia rave about him in my earlier years. Perhaps he was biased and it is wrong. His opinions of Barry Richards and Clarrie Grimmet might also have led me astray.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

Botham's figures were

This is so sad that Botham only took 17 wkts in his last 14 Tests, which now has people discounting his overall brilliance. This is the same guy that took 100 wkts in his first 20 Tests, how many others have done that (+ bat and field as well as him)

mr_mister

Personally I think Shakib would have easily reached 10 centuries and 20 five fers if Bangladesh played tests more frequently. There's a chance he still gets there

bagapath

So Imran ahead of Sobers?
probably not. sobers deserves it. but imran is not a bad argument in my opinion.

in fact the third position is such a tough one to decide on.

Bradman
Sobers

Imran/Viv Richards/ Warne/ Tendulkar/ Hutton/ Hobbs/ Hammond - tough tough call and if you're making a top 10 you already have 9 cricketers by the time time you've ranked the top 3

bagapath

Personally I think Shakib would have easily reached 10 centuries and 20 five fers if Bangladesh played tests more frequently. There's a chance he still gets there
Shakib is at
55 3807 217 39.65 5 205 7/36 31.29 18 22

At the same point Botham was at
55 3008 208 37.13 11 251 8/34 23.68 20 60

Telling you... he was a unique beast

Logan

While Imran Khan ended up with better batting stats, Ian Botham was a better batsman and a bigger match winner than Imran.

aussie tragic

While Imran Khan ended up with better batting stats, Ian Botham was a better batsman and a bigger match winner than Imran.
Yes let's end any doubt, Botham was the best allrounder post Sobers, and the only player I ever wished was in the Aussie team

vcs

Shakib is at
55 3807 217 39.65 5 205 7/36 31.29 18 22

At the same point Botham was at
55 3008 208 37.13 11 251 8/34 23.68 20 60

Telling you... he was a unique beast
Shakib must have played a few games against Zimbabwe and latter day Sri Lanka as well, a luxury which Botham didn't have. Still terrific numbers for both of them there.

Bolo

Hadlee-pollock-miller

Pretty much the same bowling averages, but you get one less wicket per match in exchange for + 5 batting average with each one. On paper, who sounds better?

Test_Fan_Only

Shakib must have played a few games against Zimbabwe and latter day Sri Lanka as well, a luxury which Botham didn't have. Still terrific numbers for both of them there.
Ian Botham played 3 tests against Sri Lanka and his record in those 3 matches was terrible. Botham did not play against South Africa while Shakib has struggled with the bat against South Africa although done okay with the ball.