• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phrases or expressions which should be banned from CW:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
With regards to "DTWA", "AWTA" and "this". I don't mind them as long as some expansion on whatever has been said. A clarification of why you agree/disagree should always been used.

I can't disagree with them outright though, because pretty much the whole point anyone uses any forum anywhere is for the purposes of agreeing/disagreeing with points of view on a certain topic.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
'England'
'English team'
'English'
'Alistair Cook'
'Andrew Strauss'
'Kevin Pietersen'
'Ian Bell'
'Ravi Bopara'
'Matt Prior'
'Graeme Swann'
'Swanneh'
'Stuart Broad'
'James Anderson'
'Jimmy Anderson'
'Jimmeh'
'Jonathan Trott'
'Tim Bresnan'
'Chris Tremlett'
Always had you down as an Eoin Morgan fan.

Ruckus

What on earth gave you the idea that people perpetually seeking recognition and approval is specific to the internet?

It's not so much back-slapping as registering agreement. Some arguments have already been set out well enough that there's not much more to add but it's still interesting to know whether other members agree or not. Can't stand a "DWTA" without any elaboration, though.
I didn't say it was specific to the internet, but I think on something like an internet forum that kind of thing of thing is definately more excessive than it needs to be. You make a decent point though in 'AWTA' being useful from the point of view of seeing if there is some kind of concensus on an idea from other members (and now that I think about it there's no reason why DWTA can't be used to the same effect). But on the whole I reckon a debate/discussion on something is far better if the focus is solely on the actual ideas someone is trying to express rather than whether or not other people agree/disagree with it.

But honestly though, none of this matters at all...the post I made yesterday was meant to be frivolous. This is a cricket forum after all...it's not exactly the deepest topic. A light topic = a light treatment.

benchmark00

What on earth gave you the idea that people perpetually seeking recognition and approval is specific to the internet?

It's not so much back-slapping as registering agreement. Some arguments have already been set out well enough that there's not much more to add but it's still interesting to know whether other members agree or not. Can't stand a "DWTA" without any elaboration, though.

Ad hominem arguments in CC definitely need banned. If we're going to accept that some variation of "well what do you know, you've never played test cricket" constitutes a counter-point we may as well not have a forum at all.
There is absolutely no doubt that experience playing cricket (at a high level ideally) is essential in understanding certain points about the game. The discussion about experience in a cricket side the other day is a perfect example of that.

If you've never experienced what it's like to play with experienced players, how can one possibly have an informed opinion on the topic? All you've got to go by is your arbitrary thoughts on the matter, with nothing backing it up, just what you think might be the case.

There's nothing stopping someone who has never played the game from rating a certain player higher than another though.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Perhaps, but in the context of an internet forum the "I'm right about this because I'm more of an authority on the subject" line doesn't have to be false to be worthless. It's only slightly less appropriate than it would be to say that in a staged debate.

Besides, you could find someone experienced who holds any opinion, if you looked hard enough.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Hate when Smali says something nasty and then adds a smiley to it at the end. As if that makes it all right to say.
Haha, yes!
spoilsports

I have pretty much exhausted that quota agent. The mods have begun to see through it at times :ph34r:......

seriously I am tottering on the verge of a ban. I just hope it isn't a 6 month ban for saying nasty things to other members or letting other people use my account to say nasty things :p