• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

watson

Banned
Before the GOP implodes its party machine needs to be reminded that Donald Trump is the leading candidate at this point because he has scored the most votes. No other reason.

They can accuse their fellow Americans of being simpletons, naive, or whatever, but more often than not the Democratic process gets it right. So rather than let the tail wag the dog, the Republican Party should listen to what it's constituents are telling it, act on its wishes, and stop ignoring democracy just because they think that their ideologies take precedence over people..

FaaipDeOiad

Before the GOP implodes its party machine needs to be reminded that Donald Trump is the leading candidate at this point because he has scored the most votes. No other reason.

They can accuse their fellow Americans of being simpletons, naive, or whatever, but more often than not the Democratic process gets it right. So rather than let the tail wag the dog, the Republican Party should listen to what it's constituents are telling it, act on its wishes, and stop ignoring democracy just because they think that their ideologies take precedence over people..
Only within the Republican party internally. Most general election polls show Trump as one of the less popular viable candidates. There's typically a notable gap with both parties between the most popular policies within the party and the most successful general election policies, and the Republicans goal is to win the presidential election, not pick a popular nominee among party faithful.

Ikki

Yeah, it certainly makes sense to me that they'd prefer Clinton to Trump. I prefer Clinton to Trump. This is no particular surprise.

I'm sure there have been lots of other elections where they preferred one candidate over the other though and they still rocked up and voted for the LP candidate anyway. Deciding who is less bad out of the D candidate and the R candidate is anathema to the whole concept of the party and the people who vote for it, and that they'd consider this when the candidate they're going to vote for is Hillary Clinton of all people is IMO a good example of just how strange the whole Trump situation really is.
I'd like to say I called it a while back :laugh:. Trump on one end and Sanders on the other seems like a conspiracy to get people to get scared into voting for Hillary as the 'normal' one.

RossTaylorsBox

Well not really, technically it's who wins the most delegates. And if there's a contested convention then all bets are off.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc2nN9OguQ

Anyway, if Trump were to become el presidente, I can see a situation where US legislation basically goes into a holding pattern as the top guy needs the support of Congress to get anything passed

Could well be just 4 years of Trump declaring that he is the most powerful man in the world whilst achieving nothing before being eaten by his 'doo and never heard of again
Maybe his controversial things won't be passed but don't see why he wouldn't get completely incompetent like you are suggesting. It's quite crazy that we are now thinking of Trump as a president what if. Not many thought he would still be in the running like he is now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This line of thinking is prevalent when you look at the comment sections of certain articles and blogs. The Sanders' supporters are confused why black people who need 'help' don't want good ol' Bernie and his welfare programs. They're even patronising about it: apparently they are voting against their own interests, if only they were smarter. It almost smells of racism. It's a failure of identity politics.
I get what you are saying and agree, but how is that attitude different to people who speak about women and latinos (and really, everyone) who are voting for Trump. People shake their head and make the exact same sort of comments, they're voting against their interests, they don't understand etc.

Howe_zat

I don't think it's condescending to suggest that people voting for Trump are voting against their own best interests

Seeing as everyone who isn't his own publicist is voting against their own best interests

Dan

Global Moderator
Gonna be honest, installing the Drumpf Chrome Extension is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's also possible to purposefully vote against your own self interest because you think it's a better policy at all. It's not necessarily a sign of stupidity. I mean I've voted for increased taxes to pay for a better bus system even though I rarely take the bus anymore because I think it's important for people to have good reliable transportation options. A lot of people do that on both sides of the aisle.

However, that is assuming, of course, that people are doing that on purpose.

Ikki

I get what you are saying and agree, but how is that attitude different to people who speak about women and latinos (and really, everyone) who are voting for Trump. People shake their head and make the exact same sort of comments, they're voting against their interests, they don't understand etc.
Not sure it is all that different.

I'd just say that it tends to be people on the left that seem to define everybody by their race/gender/religion/etc and they think their solutions should appeal to those demographics because they don't really see them as full human beings - who don't vote for someone just because of issues related to race/gender/religion/etc. They almost seem oblivious that a black man could be more concerned with economic policy than police shootings.

I'm no fan of Trump of course but I don't put any stock in "gotcha" tactics like asking a candidate to condemn someone that endorses them if they're racist. Does this start becoming a trend where he has to take 10 minutes out of every appearance to condemn a list of bad people? There are enough reasons not to like Trump and it doesn't require resorting to guilty-by-association.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Trump to dominate tonight and all but seal the nomination. I'm going to be vote strategically for Ted Cruz in the Texas primary so that he at least wins his home state and stays viable for another month or so. The longer Cruz and Rubio stay in the race, the better for Trump's path to the nomination (and certain defeat in the general election). I actually don't think any candidate will drop out after tonight, but the anti-Trump Republican coalition will be severely depressed.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm no fan of Trump of course but I don't put any stock in "gotcha" tactics like asking a candidate to condemn someone that endorses them if they're racist. Does this start becoming a trend where he has to take 10 minutes out of every appearance to condemn a list of bad people? There are enough reason not to like Trump and it doesn't require resorting to guilty-by-association.
If an avowed racist endorses you, then it certainly is incumbent on you to disassociates yourself from that endorsement. At the very least, Trump should be able to condemn the KKK without any hesitation. The fact that he didn't do either tells you what a **** he is.

Ikki

If an avowed racist endorses you, then it certainly is incumbent on you to disassociates yourself from that endorsement. At the very least, Trump should be able to condemn the KKK without any hesitation. The fact that he didn't do either tells you what a **** he is.
No, I think anyone that judges you whether a racist endorses you or not isn't that bright or they just want a convenient excuse to bash you. If he himself had an association with the KKK it would be relevant. The only reason he's being asked about it is because someone else is a member.

This was in August of 2015:

Donald Trump: I Don't Want David Duke's Endorsement - Donald Trump: I Don't Want David Duke's Endorsement - NBC News

This is him in 2000:

It's a clear tactic to smear him. Just look at the vultures circling:

Trump is a lot of things, not eloquent is one of them, but he isn't in league with the KKK.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I agree in terms of hating those questions. In saying that, telling though that he lies about not knowing who Duke is.

Ikki

I think he's stupid enough to think that by pretending to not know him he can evade a landmine of a question.

Your leading Republican nominee and potential President, ladies and gentlemen.

Fusion

Global Moderator
No, I think anyone that judges you whether a racist endorses you or not isn't that bright or they just want a convenient excuse to bash you. If he himself had an association with the KKK it would be relevant. The only reason he's being asked about it is because someone else is a member.

Trump is a lot of things, not eloquent is one of them, but he isn't in league with the KKK.
Trump's campaign is largely driven by anti-immigration and anti-minority fervor (that Trump himself stoked). When David Duke or the KKK endorse him, it is definitely a legitimate question to ask him if he would disavow them. Just because he's not in the league of the KKK, doesn't mean his statements/policies can't be viewed as racist. I would argue to ignore that dynamic isn't very bright.