• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Maths Thread

vcs

A mathematician decides he wants to learn more about practical problems. He sees a seminar with a nice title: "The Theory of Gears." So he goes. The speaker stands up and begins, "The theory of gears with a real number of teeth is well known ..."
The more apparently "useless" the Math is, all the better AFAIC. Anyway...

Watch that video and then tell me with a straight face that studying abstract Math is pointless..

ankitj

IMG-20200602-WA0013.jpg
Semi circle folded over to touch the diameter at a point that splits the diameter into 4 and 2 units lengths. What is the length of the fold line?

ankitj

^ Anyone gave it a shot?

Hint: look at the folded arc as part of another circle. So you have 2 intersecting circles.

ankitj

I am thinking of a positive integer N. I make 30 statements about the number:

1. N is divisible by 1
2. N is divisible by 2
3. N is divisible by 3
:
:
:
30. N is divisible by 30​

Exactly 2 of these 30 statements are false and those 2 are consecutive. Which statements are false?

vcs

Anyone trying out the latest 3Blue1Brown problem?

Stopped it as soon as he gave the problem description because I wanted to work on it myself, but can't figure out any strategy that'll work beyond a trivial chessboard of 2 squares.

ankitj

Anyone trying out the latest 3Blue1Brown problem?

Stopped it as soon as he gave the problem description because I wanted to work on it myself, but can't figure out any strategy that'll work beyond a trivial chessboard of 2 squares.
I put this on and closed my eyes last night to put myself to sleep.

16 and 17 is correct answer btw.