• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where? ... and why?

vogue

Quite a number of my friends have chosen to emigrate,to live and work in another country for varying reasons.
So,where would you want to live and work if not in the country you are now? And why?

Shri

My next decade will probably be spent in Australia. Would love to live in Canada after that.

hendrix

Everywhere I want to live and work is 2nd/3rd world, and I'm not stupid enough to believe in martyrdom in terms of salary (hey, one day I want to raise a family and actually be able to afford to retire by the time I'm 70), so the plan is to work in developed countries for reasonable salaries and take occasional 6-12month stints working in developing countries on aid/low salary jobs.

harsh.ag

I have found life to be the same, more or less, regardless of where you live. Because after a while, it's all about you and the kind of person you are and the kind of people you attract. There is also the element of decreasing global diversity that plays into it, but even without that, human lives are quite similar across the civilized world (and I use that term only to distinguish from tribal life). This isn't coming from a cynical or boring angle either, at least in my head. I have a deep fondness for this, and when I travel, this internalization helps me view new places in a simpler, less stereotypical, and less exploitative light. I try to find the corner breakfast place where office goers stop for a quick snack, I try to find hole in the wall students eat at the most, I try to find the walking trails taken by men in the early hours of the morning, the Sunday afternoon sport people indulge in the family parks, the local market which opens on that one day, the weekend trips taken most out of the city, and so on. This view also results in reducing the tendency to act in ridiculous ways when you are new to a place just because it's new.

Given all that, I would like to move to Mauritius for a while. There are great cultural ties between India and Mauritius. It's incredibly beautiful. It's liberal, unlike Maldives, and also less expensive than Maldives. And there is a great friend of mine who lives there with his wife.

Kirkut

I'm probably heading to US this fall sem for my studies. I'm heading back to India immediately after completing my studies, no plans to emigrate.

vogue

Interesting to see that no one from the UK wants to move to live and work in another part of the world...

Burgey

I think we'll retire to either Positano or Byron Bay, or both and spend six months per year in each.

If it's Positano full time the idea will be to open a wine and cheese shop.

Daemon

Positano's beautiful, but it's not as quiet and peaceful as I thought it'd be. Ridiculous number of tourists.