• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** COVID-19 Discussion

Burgey

Good luck to our Indian brethren with the lock down. Stay safe everyone. Post food pics.

Jeez, it was only last year the most important issue in the world was calling out zorax for his appalling takes on, well, everything really. Now it all seems, much like the man himself, not that important tbh.

Things are so bad now, Mrs Burgey said I will be receiving instructions on cake baking in the weeks and months ahead.

Bahnz

I just found out that the dad of one of my work mates has Covid-19. Still waiting to find out if he had any contact with his dad between when he got back from the states and before we were sent home last Thursday. One of the people I'm living with is in the high risk category. Might have a tough choice to make about moving before lock down tonight.

Burgey

I just found out that the dad of one of my work mates has Covid-19. Still waiting to find out if he had any contact with his dad between when he got back from the states and before we were sent home last Thursday. One of the people I'm living with is in the high risk category. Might have a tough choice to make about moving before lock down tonight.
Jeez mate, hope it turns out ok and he hasn't had contact in the relevant timeframe

GotSpin

On a slightly different note, Westfield just offered me the exact same rental terms for their centers this year. Fairly amusing

Burgey

Bahnz, your other option is to speak with TNT about your potential problem. He's a real outside the box thinker, and I'm sure he will have a ready made solution no one else has even contemplated that fixes the problem in a trice.

Daemon

Bahnz, your other option is to speak with TNT about your potential problem. He's a real outside the box thinker, and I'm sure he will have a ready made solution no one else has even contemplated that fixes the problem in a trice.
You laugh but they followed TNT’s strategy of doing nothing and it worked

Thanks, alert over, his dad flew in on Saturday, so no exposure risk. Was a scary hour though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just to emphasise how utterly irresponsible the talk of opening up the US is right now:

Capture.JPG

This is deaths by day.

I suspect - and really hope - that this rate will decrease soon and that the linear fit will start to consistently overestimate the actual # of deaths in the US. But having three days in a row above that linear fit is a bad sign, and I've been hoping similar that for three weeks re: cases and the case trajectory has barely moved from when since I posted this two weeks ago, which is about three decades in pandemic time. Granted the case data is somewhat dubious because it's partially a function of the huge increase in testing, but the incredibly high positivity rates in many states is really worrying.

hendrix

Whatever happens I think the US needs to remain shut off from the rest of the world for a period of a couple of months, possibly 6 months. Based on the numbers I suspect the US is now a super-spreader and have completely uncontrolled community transmission that's probably worse than that in China, Italy or the UK.

I think when countries start opening up their airports and borders the US will need to be excluded for quite a while.

Burgey

Just to emphasise how utterly irresponsible the talk of opening up the US is right now:

View attachment 25148

This is deaths by day.

I suspect - and really hope - that this rate will decrease soon and that the linear fit will start to consistently overestimate the actual # of deaths in the US. But having three days in a row above that linear fit is a bad sign, and I've been hoping similar that for three weeks re: cases and the case trajectory has barely moved from when since I posted this two weeks ago, which is about three decades in pandemic time. Granted the case data is somewhat dubious because it's partially a function of the huge increase in testing, but the incredibly high positivity rates in many states is really worrying.
Fortunately they have a lot of schools and therefore many, many potential new nurses and operating theatres/ ICU beds which can be transformed in a week or so.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I have tickets to the US for late September. I'll report on the aftermath as I walk through the desolate wasteland

Spark

Global Moderator
Whatever happens I think the US needs to remain shut off from the rest of the world for a period of a couple of months, possibly 6 months. Based on the numbers I suspect the US is now a super-spreader and have completely uncontrolled community transmission that's probably worse than that in China, Italy or the UK.

I think when countries start opening up their airports and borders the US will need to be excluded for quite a while.
It will be very patchy. California and Washington could well have some semblance of control in the next few weeks and the NY outbreak will probably have burned itself out by mid-summer too.

The South is going to be an issue for quite a while. Most of the governors there just are not taking this seriously.

Redbacks

I think a lot of people are susceptible to anchoring bias with respect to the Italy numbers. Just about everyone at work looks at the death numbers and says 'we'll at least its much lower everywhere else'

The incomplete information all presented together by the aggregation sites is probably causing more havoc than good. It makes for great daily headlines though. Just add the word 'surge' in front of it.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think a lot of people are susceptible to anchoring bias with respect to the Italy numbers. Just about everyone at work looks at the death numbers and says 'we'll at least its much lower everywhere else'

The incomplete information all presented together by the aggregation sites is probably causing more havoc than good. It makes for great daily headlines though. Just add the word 'surge' in front of it.
Italy has freely admitted that they're just not bothering to test people if they basically aren't in the hospital so they aren't counting a big chunk of mild/asymptomatic cases like, say, South Korea is. I don't think anyone actually thinks the true mortality rate is 9%.