• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Corporate Mafia - Game Thread

Uppercut

I don't think Town played as badly as everyone is making out. After Shri flipped Town Uppercut and Howe were fine lynches. (I disagree that UC was a bad lynch though I argued against it at the time.) The killer was the AZH lynch but the only Townie who voted for it was Sledger, who was never able to get into the game after joining part way but had Town's most important power. Can't blame the interns for that like the dead QT chat seemed to.
The Shri lynch was awful. You had a very good game overall with the doc saves, but when you got on board the Shri lynch I really thought you must be maf.

Tbf it’s mostly just that you don’t know Shri so well. If he’d made that play and posted that way as maf I’d have made him a trophy and driven to Australia to give it to him personally.

Daemon

I don't think Town played as badly as everyone is making out. After Shri flipped Town Uppercut and Howe were fine lynches. (I disagree that UC was a bad lynch though I argued against it at the time.) The killer was the AZH lynch but the only Townie who voted for it was Sledger, who was never able to get into the game after joining part way but had Town's most important power. Can't blame the interns for that like the dead QT chat seemed to.
Agreed.

I think the bulk of the poor play by Town (Town being the collective, rather than individual players) was down to lynching Shri and then not lynching Teja/GIMH immediately after Shri turned up blue.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Agreed.

I think the bulk of the poor play by Town (Town being the collective, rather than individual players) was down to lynching Shri and then not lynching Teja/GIMH immediately after Shri turned up blue.
I almost emailed you to demand the dead QT link when this happened.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Good game all. Sorry for not being very useful. Was difficult to pick up and get a feel for the game joining when I did.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Also guys I apologize for the QT spamming. Apart from a game or two on CS where I was mostly inactive/cbf (one of which was with UC iirc), I've never been scum in a game before this. I had no baseline for normal on that front and hence posted every trivial thought, running comments on the game, shooting the **** with GIMH and pep talks on top of plans etc.

I was looking at some of the older games here and ours was certainly not your average mafia QT. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

That was a really really great game. Cheers Daemon.

Town did make a couple of mistakes but it probably wasn't an easy game with an excellent Maf performance and me in the middle spouting complete drivel as well. I made a post at one point to the effect of clearing Teja which was one of the only genuine posts I made all game as I really did think an unlynchable maf was implausible, even as a one-off ability.

I probably gave myself away as the fool when I posted some absolute bollocks about maybe being blocked, then not knowing if I'd been blocked etc. I just couldn't believe AZH was being lynched.

Teja.

Global Moderator
That was a really really great game. Cheers Daemon.

Town did make a couple of mistakes but it probably wasn't an easy game with an excellent Maf performance and me in the middle spouting complete drivel as well. I made a post at one point to the effect of clearing Teja which was one of the only genuine posts I made all game as I really did think an unlynchable maf was implausible, even as a one-off ability.

I probably gave myself away as the fool when I posted some absolute bollocks about maybe being blocked, then not knowing if I'd been blocked etc. I just couldn't believe AZH was being lynched.
Hahaha, I thought you started intentionally helping us at that point. When did you start suspecting me and GIMH were maf?

srbhkshk

Thank you for running this Daemon, was great entertainment with most other ways closed off now a days.

Congratulations to Tom.

Red_Ink_Squid

The Shri lynch was awful. You had a very good game overall with the doc saves, but when you got on board the Shri lynch I really thought you must be maf.

Tbf it’s mostly just that you don’t know Shri so well. If he’d made that play and posted that way as maf I’d have made him a trophy and driven to Australia to give it to him personally.
Funnily enough that's the day I decided you were maf! You were pushing for NL early when it had no upside vs lynching Teja. Then you said you believed Shri was Town but so were Teja/GIMH which I didn't buy. If we played it again I'd stand by the Shri lynch - logic was sound that if he flipped Town we lynch Teja and GIMH. The problem wasn't with that lynch but what happened (or rather didn't happen) afterwards.

My only regret (but it's a major one) was fluffing my last will and testament to Town on the way out, when I'd softened from 'Teja and GIMH are 100% maf' to 'They are most likely maf.' With hindsight doing that long list on every individual player (though requested that way) was a mistake - it ended up missing the wood for the trees. Due to the nature of such a list it made T&G appear as just 2 of a bunch of suspects, when it should have been 'almost certainly those two, plus one of these other suspicious guys.' My overall game definitely gets marked down for that.

Uppercut

Funnily enough that's the day I decided you were maf! You were pushing for NL early when it had no upside vs lynching Teja. Then you said you believed Shri was Town but so were Teja/GIMH which I didn't buy. If we played it again I'd stand by the Shri lynch - logic was sound that if he flipped Town we lynch Teja and GIMH. The problem wasn't with that lynch but what happened (or rather didn't happen) afterwards.

My only regret (but it's a major one) was fluffing my last will and testament to Town on the way out, when I'd softened from 'Teja and GIMH are 100% maf' to 'They are most likely maf.' With hindsight doing that long list on every individual player (though requested that way) was a mistake - it ended up missing the wood for the trees. Due to the nature of such a list it made T&G appear as just 2 of a bunch of suspects, when it should have been 'almost certainly those two, plus one of these other suspicious guys.' My overall game definitely gets marked down for that.
Haha tbf I switched to lynching Teja later that day.

Not sure it would have made much difference, it’s very difficult to direct Town play via last will and testament. The conversation just moves on without you.

honestbharani

Thoughts on the game mechanics:

1. The mind**** of a conversion looming can make any game difficult for Town, I feel. Of course, I have very llittle experience having had like 4 or 5 games so far and only been into this for about 2 months now but it is one thing knowing conversion is allowed as a mod message, which brings its own challenges and flavor to the game, but quite another when there is no such mechanims but the mod still lets you post messages to that effect in game.

2. The one day unlynchable power definitely does make maf OP IMO when combined with 1. Simply because it adds a layer of mistrust to a game already built upon mistrust. Its easy enough to see when you are outside the matrix but inside it, it gets very difficult.

3. On top of these 2, I can see why Daemon said it will be maf sided, coz he basically put 3 of the best players in 3P roles and gave another very useful power role (at least among the games I have been in) of an untrackable killer to maf.

4. And town started off with 9 against 4 maf and 3 3P where usually 4+2 was the norm. Again, none of this makes this essentially a bad game as, from a viewer perspective you want to see the game being difficult to unravel.

All of this said, we really did get a lucky break with Shri and blew it, so it is on Town. I suppose RIS not reading the game better at that point, being the only "really good" player left on the Town side made matters difficult for us and I just made it worse misreading RIS Vs Howe, even though it really did not cost us ultimately.

Please understand none of this is an indication of the quality of the game or the players, just my thoughts and stuff. I guess if you set up a completely balanced maf game, it just ends up being town flavored. This is the maf equivalent of a green top or a dust bowl I guess and sometimes us Town batsmen can't always get what we want.

But well played everyone and great job running it Daemon and Athlai. It definitely helped me get through the first 3 days of lockdown OK. Now I hope GIMH can do the same. :)

Tom Halsey

Hahaha, I thought you started intentionally helping us at that point. When did you start suspecting me and GIMH were maf?
Very soon after I made the post as it turned out. When the UC lynch went down I started suspecting I'd written the unlynchable maf possibility off too soon.

Daemon

1. The mind**** of a conversion looming can make any game difficult for Town, I feel. Of course, I have very llittle experience having had like 4 or 5 games so far and only been into this for about 2 months now but it is one thing knowing conversion is allowed as a mod message, which brings its own challenges and flavor to the game, but quite another when there is no such mechanims but the mod still lets you post messages to that effect in game.
This was the first game I've played where people have paid attention to messages like that tbh. It was just a flavour thing suggested by Athlai but Teja made great use of it to confuse the **** out of everyone. WAG/C.

Victor Ian

Also guys I apologize for the QT spamming. Apart from a game or two on CS where I was mostly inactive/cbf (one of which was with UC iirc), I've never been scum in a game before this. I had no baseline for normal on that front and hence posted every trivial thought, running comments on the game, shooting the **** with GIMH and pep talks on top of plans etc.

I was looking at some of the older games here and ours was certainly not your average mafia QT. :laugh:
I was worried that at games end people were going to WTF our QT and it's 300+ posts. Once again you deflected attention from where it was needed.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Overall, think hb has some of the strongest reads in CW and his posts during the non-voting night phases in this thread were so spot on and made us very nervous. He didn't put his foot down enough and voted along with village during day phases but if he starts trusting his reads and leading lynches on that basis, he could be one of the best here IMO.

honestbharani

Athlai
06-19-2020
07:24 PM ET (US)
I do think people have gotten a little out of practice in caring about how things fit the "theme" of a theme mafia rather than how traditional mafia roles work.

Auditor is never going to be a friend to management.
An intern is never going to be a dangerous 3P.
A receptionist is going to be a powerful role.

Howe gets it and has now somehow seemingly cleared himself to the interns despite everything. Has he been dominating CW mafia games? Seems a cut above right now

Not seen how audit firms work in India, have you? :p

Tom Halsey

Overall, think hb has some of the strongest reads in CW and his posts during the non-voting night phases in this thread were so spot on and made us very nervous. He didn't put his foot down enough and voted along with village during day phases but if he starts trusting his reads and leading lynches on that basis, he could be one of the best here IMO.
I actually made this point in the QT during the last game I was maf when we were discussing targets. I thought hb had read the previous game uncommonly well.

honestbharani

Yeah, I guess you learn more from losing than you do winning and all that jazz. Still one of the best displays by you and GIMH especially surviving and winning after being outed on D1 or whenever it was. As much as we helped, you guys were awesome on your own too. :)