• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

Burgey

“Yeah, I’m two hundreds from two tests at the Oval, so it is a place I like batting.”

That must sound good to the English

quincywagstaff

Starc - not terrible but largely innocuous this arvo. Disappointing tstl

Lyon just hasn’t landed then consistently at all today
Under normal circumstances you would've expected Starc & Lyon to be the main dangers but Starc was just OK while Lyon was largely disappointing (bowled better after Tea though). Hazlewood & Cummins marvelously covered for them though.

Chrish

Well played Aussies..

For poms, it's not like the end of the world just yet. They can win the last game and draw the series, can't they ?

MW1304

Congrats Australia, definitely deserved in the end. Can only scrap a miracle so many times.

The pace bowling has been outstanding, a touch more clinical and relentless than England's, but really this series was won by one man wasn't it?

One of the great individual series.

Lillian Thomson

It’s a bit to deluded to think Smith is the only difference between the teams. The discipline and penetration of the fast bowlers is far superior.

Spark

Global Moderator
It’s a bit to deluded to think Smith is the only difference between the teams. The discipline and penetration of the fast bowlers is far superior.
Yeah it is worth noting that in both games we've won, a long period of scoring at 3.5-4 has been pretty vital to giving Aus enough time to win in the game. England just seem to lose the plot in the field for long stretches for no particular reason.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it is worth noting that in both games we've won, a long period of scoring at 3.5-4 has been pretty vital to giving Aus enough time to win in the game. England just seem to lose the plot in the field for long stretches for no particular reason.

quincywagstaff

Yep, even on the opening morning of the series when they had Australia in all sorts, Stokes came on and bowled a heap of rubbish and was just gifting easy runs.

With the odd exception, Australia's bowling attack worked much better as a team than England's did.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah so I just noticed on the Sky montage just now that Erasmus was actually nodding as Stokes walked off. So he would have given it out if asked to make a decision, so the question of whether DRS would have overturned it would have been entirely academic.

Pothas

A good amount of heart shown from England today as well tbf. If you'd said Root and Stokes both failed you'd never have imagined them surviving over 90 overs.

But winning the World Cup and losing the Ashes has always felt like what England deserved from the balance of their performances and focus in the last few years.
Pretty much. Have been getting away with it at home for the last few years but Smith, Australia's bowling and no Anderson was all too much this time.

Was working today so made it to the pub for about two overs.

Groundking

Fair play to Australia your bowling, particularly Hazlewood and Cummins is unreal with no let up and what can you say about Smith that's not already been said? Simply second to non and no batsmen in world cricket's even remotely close.

As for ourselves proud of the lads for the fight they showed having 2 of our 3 acceptable/good basemen out last night with the other one failing today I would have called you a liar if you said that we would survive past 6pm today. However there are serious problems with our set up at the minute that this shouldn't mask up, Bayliss is an awful coach whos finally going, Root is not a leader of men and is a hopeless captain in the field and the biggest thing is hope awful our selectors are, they almost never select players after the prime opportunity, case in point Rory Burns, had 4 fantastic seasons, started last very well form predictably wears off towards the end of the season as wickets get worse and then takes he has 2 very difficult away series and didn't look assured at the crease until this game, I think its likely that this would have been much sooner had we struck whilst the iron was hot last summer against India. The only one we've got right was Woakes when Pakistan were here. I fear Sibley is going to go the same way. We must get a better selection policy as picking form white ball cricketers isn't going to work the games are far too different. Also it's time to start thinking about a future without Anderson as he was a huge loss this series and he's not getting any younger.

Onwards to the Oval, it's time to experiment and let's ****ing do them and win the test to draw the series, I want to see one of Sibley or Pope on the team at the expense of Roy.

Anyway I'm signing out for the night my club cricket has won the lancs cup today so it's time to celebrate and party.

Last edited:

hazsa19

Hard to argue with that after this match. Even with a under performing Lyon they’re able to maintain the pressure after the new ball.

In Labuschagne they probably have the 2nd most consistent batsman of the series too.

Edit; maybe that’s a bit harsh on Stokes, but Labuschagne has definitely made a difference in this series.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia's attack has bowled as one much better and they have better depth. An Anderson/Broad/Archer combo could have done great things but at the end of the day Oz have been able to rest Hazelwood and Pattinson at different points.

Batting wise Smith has been ridiculous but it could have been a different series if he'd been left stranded on 40 or whatever at Edgbaston like he should have been. It wasnt to be and we paid the price. I'm backing the draw next week but let's see. A tied series would be nice.

hazsa19

Australia's attack has bowled as one much better and they have better depth. An Anderson/Broad/Archer combo could have done great things but at the end of the day Oz have been able to rest Hazelwood and Pattinson at different points.
Yeh they’ve got 5 maybe 6 guys who can all come in and perform. We’re relying on Jimmy who’s 37, and Root must have all but destroyed Woakes’ confidence. Sad really, but that’s the way of it. Thank **** Archer has come along or we’d be especially ****ed.