• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Every Superhero Film Ever

OverratedSanity

I don't like batman begins anywhere near as much as most do. The whole "Ras Al Ghul is Ken Watanabe but oh he's dead but no wait he's alive and is this Chinese guy but not wait it's actually Liam Neeson" stuff was utter rubbish.
The plot was so ridiculous too... Pumping fear liquid into the water supply and using a super vaporizer to turn it into fear gas so that people will riot? I mean what kind of convoluted, rubbish plan is that? I wouldn't mind it if it was a more traditional superhero film but it was also trying to be a serious crime drama and it just didn't work for me. TDK handled that balance way better.

All of the Tubby Maguire Spiderman movies are carp (though the third one is pretty damn hilarious if you've had a couple drinks). Homecoming is the only good Spiderman movie ever made.
You are almost unbelievably wrong. Spiderman 2 > the entire MCU.

Last edited:

Scarlett

Banned
Top 50 superhero films from before the MCU

1. Batman Begins - Fight me. It's the best one. Everything in this is Nolan being a meticulous as ever, except so much of it is about character. And uniquely among Batman films, it's actually about Batman.

2. X-men 2 - This is the only film that actually does the business with what the X-men idea can offer. The allegory is there, but it's in the backdrop of a proper story that wastes none of its parts and has great supporting actors (Cox, Cumming) as well as Ian McKellen chewing the scenery, rather than just going for that.

3. The Dark Knight - You don't need me to tell you why TDK is good. It's shitting amazing. The only nitpicks I have are being a bit subplot heavy and Batman being a secondary character in his own film.

4. Spider-Man 2 - Before this list I thought this might be my #1. Excellent performances and some great memorable moments. There's maybe a bit of the goofier parts of the script that haven't aged so well, and it's still not quite as good as the Gamecube tie in game for some reason.

5. Blade - It rocks my socks. It's awesome.

6. The Crow

7. X-men - It's very similar to its sequel except less good, which makes it a bit dodgy by comparison. Still a very solid film with a good script and good performances. I have no idea how they managed to put that cast together given the state of comic book films in the 90s.

8. Spider-Man - Much like the above, it's easier to see it for its flaws than its successes because its sequel largely eradicates the flaws. It's sillier than I remembered, though that's not really a bad thing.

9. Superman II

10. Superman

11. Hellboy II - The Golden Army - I can't see this is one of the best films there is but nothing else exists quite like it. Del Toro at his very Del Toroiest. On the one hand, wildly creative, on the other, kinda childish. On the one hand, stunning visuals, on the other, Seth McFarlane. No idea really.

12. Hellboy - Matches the tone of its sequel but goes for a much more grounded gothic idea rather than the wild pans-labyrith-meets-dirty-harry craziness of the other one. You still get to fight steampunk nazi wizards, but Wolfenstein did that so it's not exactly mental any more. On the plus side, Seth McFarlane isn't in it.

13. Blade II - It's only as I write these out I've realised I stuck all the Del Toro stuff together. Blade II is worth seeing, like all his stuff, just try not to think about it too hard.

14. V for Vendetta - t's the tone and the lead performance from Weaving that you're really after here, the theme is a little on the nose compared to the more ambiguous nature of the book. Not really an action film, which I wasn't expecting.

15. Batman (1989)

16. The Roceteer

17. The Mask

18. Superman Returns - It's the best Superman film since 1980, which given there have been five attempts is really a bit sad. Kevin Spacey carries this film, but it's a well crafted thing.

19. League of Extroadinary Gentlemen - I love the premise so much that the nostalgia goggles are lifting this higher up than it really should be. Mainly suffers from a bad script, but the ideas are too fun not to enjoy, and it knows how to stick a payoff in the climax for each of its many characters.

20. Blade Trinity - One idea for a film is to have basically a retread of the first Blade but admittedly without as convincing a villain. Another idea is to have Ryan Reynolds wisecracking for 90 minutes. Both these are ok ideas for a film, for some inexplicable reason they went with both.

21. The Shadow

22. Swamp Thing

23. Batman (1966)

24. Tank Girl

25. Hulk - If Tank Girl is the worst film I liked, Hulk is the best film I didn't like. The problem is it's boring. No worse than that, but it's a crime when you have the Hulk.

26. Daredevil - while it's fun to list the numerous ways in which Matt Murdock disbars himself from practising law, the Netflix series puts this film to shame. And that's not an enormous bar.

27. Judge Dredd

28. Elektra - I don't think that this is as bad as the 10% RT rating would have you believe, but like the Hulk, it's just tedious in places. I like the themes, I like the imagery, just stop being so god damn serious.

29. Ghost Rider - Kind of the opposite problem. It is light-hearted enough and has some entertaining stuff from Nick Cage, it just makes no sense.

30. Spawn

31. Spider-man 3 - The second most disappointing film of my teen years. You all know what's wrong with it, obviously

32. The Phantom

33. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - Another mid-2000s superhero sequel that slightly outdid its predecessor while keeping the same style and tone. Unlike the other two, the original was shite.

34. Batman Forever

35. The Crow: City of Angels

36. X-Men: The Last Stand - **** YOU MOVIE YOU WERE EVEN WORSE THAN I REMEMBERED. God, what a waste.

37. Fantastic Four - It's dumb as hell, is the long and short of the issue. It's particularly hard to watch Captain America being a dickhead for 90 minutes.

38. Superman 3

39. The Punisher (2004) - I spent most of this thinking 'at least it's better than the other Punisher film' but at the end of it I still couldn't really think why.

40. Batman Returns

41. The Punisher (1989)

42. Return of Swamp Thing

43. Howard the Duck

44. Barb Wire

45. Superman IV

46. Catwoman - Unsubscribe please

47. Batman & Robin

48. Supergirl

49. Son of the Mask - It took a lot of effort. They tried very, very hard. But they made a film worse than Supergirl. They made a film worse than anything I've ever seen. If I had been in a cinema for this, I'd have walked out and most likely driven straight into a wall. It is a punishment to watch this.

50. Steel - I don't for a moment believe this is even worse than Son of the Mask, but I still can't find a way to watch it, which given some of the crap I've sat through, is a bit special.
Please review Suicide Squad and the Thor movies.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Really good top 6 as of right now. I would probably have it TDK>BB>SM2>Crow>X2>Blade.

I think I will disagree with your ratings a lot more from here on out. You actually had something positive to say about Superman Returns which means you'll rate it above MoS since I recall you hated it. I thought SR was utterly forgettable (Spacey aside) whereas MoS at least made Superman (and Zod) interesting to me.

Howe_zat

Top 75 Superhero Films from Before the middle of a few years ago or whatever

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Awesome film. Very Bourne-like in its action and design but somehow pulls this off while a man wears a flag. The thing keeping it going is how Evans manages to convince us that Cap is such an effective force of sheer bloody decency that the right decisions are naturally going to get made even when everything's going to ****. I didn't know of the winter soldier story in the comics before watching this so it kept me guessing too. Top banana

2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight

4. The Avengers - It's hard to separate the quality of this film from the size of the achievement that making it was, but it's an effing huge one, so here we are. I think it looks a bit dodgy in places, and the Whedontalk can get a bit much, but meh. An underrated aspect of it is how every action beat in the finale represents a genuine character moment as well as a bit for the kids to punch the air to. This film has a guitar solo of a third act.

5. X-Men 2
6. Spider-man 2
7. Blade
8. The Crow
9. X-Men
10. Spider-Man

11. Iron Man - I put this outside the top 10 because unlike Avengers, its ending leaves a little to be desired and features Jeff Bridges going crazy for no reason. But it had one job and that's to sell me on Down Jr and Tony Stark, at which it very much succeeded.

12. Captain America - Has a better baddie than Iron Man but the script isn't as clever. It's a well put together thing that manages to make Steve Rogers: Perfect Human into someone you can get behind.

13. Iron Man III - This is a bizarre film. The main villain is apparently PTSD. I enjoy it, including the mid film twist, but I can get why it'd rub you the wrong way. You can see the same workings from Shane Black that made films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang so good, and you can see why Marvel didn't invite him back.

14. Watchmen - My main memory of watching this 8 years ago is how flipping long it was, but on rewatch that's doing it a disservice. It has to rush a couple of things to set up the third act but otherwise the story is a carefully crafted thing that needs every quiet scene. Unlike later Snyder films it follows through with its big ideas until the end.

15. Superman II
16. Superman
17. Hellboy
18. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

19. Thor - Thing I my have been a bit harsh on it putting it down here, it's fine. Has some wit to it and like the other opening Marvel efforts introduces its main character well. But there's not a lot of memorable moments that aren't in the first act.

20. The Dark Knight Rises - On its own this would be fine, but it's not really fit to tie its predecessors' boots. While the storytelling and dialogue in TDK was meticulous, this feels bloated and winding, and a good creative premise is a bit wasted. Worst decision was having the best character/actor in the trilogy (Caine's Alfred) leave for half of it. It has some brilliant character moments and a brilliant final scene for the whole trilogy.

21. Iron Man 2 - It's servicable. I like what they did with Justin Hammer. Tony Stark verges too close to being an arsehole in a lot of this for it to keep all the charm of its predecessor.

22. Blade II

23. Kick-Ass - I feel like there's probably some point it's trying to make by veering so wildly between pitch-black cynicism and juvenile glee, and I've missed it. Otherwise, this a sometimes funny piece of nonsense with creative action.

24. V for Vendetta

25. Thor: The Dark World - I feel like people rag on this too much for being not memorable, but yeah, it's not memorable. Total waste of your Chris Ecclestone. Still a decent world-building attempt and has its ace in its Thor-Loki dialogue, shame there's not more of that.

26. Batman (1989)
27. The Rocketeer

28. The Incredible Hulk - The forgotten stepchild that Marvel likes to keep in the cupboard under the stairs. It's okay.

29. Dredd - Go into this expecting a simple B-movie and you'll get exactly what you're after. Pacy and (good) action heavy. Completely misses any opportunity for wit or satire though.

30. The Mask

31. The Wolverine - This promises to be a creative, modern conspiracy thriller and gets two thirds of the way through one before having a complete eye-roll of an ending. Close but no cigar.

32. Superman Returns

33. Kick-Ass 2 - It's pretty much the same as the previous one, except this one detrimentally adds in a slew of teen drama nonsense with all your least favourite high school archetype characters.

34. League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

35. The Amazing Spider-Man - There's nothing in this film that offends me, but holy crap is it pointless. The sole justification for anything that happens in this is 'because the good Spiderman films did it'. Anything that doesn't follow that template is shoved into sequel-building, because this is totally gonna be its own universe you guys! There is no reason for this film.

36. Blade Trinity
37. The Shadow
38. Swamp Thing
39. Batman (1966)
40. Tank Girl

41. X-men: First Class - Taking the place of 'best film I didn't like' from Hulk. This film has a good cast, good direction, a bunch of other this that make it well made, just hate every decision they made with these characters. And it's full of my personal bugbear trope, which is saying comic book names with gravitas stolen entirely from source material and not remotely justified in the film.

42. Hulk
43. Daredevil
44. Judge Dredd
45. Elektra

46. Man of Steel - I can see why some people like this version of Superman. My complaint isn't really 'too grim', it's just that if you're going grim, you'd better have some other way to keep me entertained, like theme, chracater, creative consequential action, something. But here we have out-of-order scenes in the first half that serve only to undermine any theme or character decisions, and the action is 100% pointless punching and building-smashing. It's boring.

47. Green Lantern - I didn't hate this as much as I expected to hate it. It's not even the worst film to come out in 2011 to have 'green' in the title. But yeah it's quite bad. Lots of time wasting on cheap scenes about Hal Jordans'' problems with his girlfriend, and when you do go into space the CGI is the worst released this decade. Hope you enjoy Ryan Reynolds' floating head.

48. Ghost Rider

49. Punisher: War Zone - A good one for Bad Movie Night. There is an understanding that you are not looking at anyone's finest work, but at least there might be a sense that the film is laughing with you. This may be the best we can do with the Punisher.

50. X-men Origins: Wolverine - Unlike the above this film takes itself 100% seriously. It shouldn't.

51. The Green Hornet - It's a comedy that isn't funny. I gather that the unsympathetic comedy protagonist is a thing, but they can't be an example of the actual worst person on the planet for it to work.

52. Spawn
53. Spider-Man 3
54. The Phantom

55. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - If you are wondering why Nicolas Cage is now a meme, watch this film. Ciran Hinds and Idris Elba are in this, I have no idea how that happened.

56. Jonah Hex - Clearly unfinished and chopped to death in the editing room, probably because what story it had made little sense at the best of times. It's a shame, waste of an interesting premise.

57. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
58. Batman Forever
59. The Crow: City of Angels
60. X-men The Last Stand
61. Fantastic Four
62. Superman III
63. The Spirit
64. The Punisher (2004)
65. Batman Returns
66. The Punisher (1989)
67. Return of Swamp Thing
68. Howard the Duck
69. Barb Wire
70. Superman IV
71. Catwoman
72. Batman & Robin
73. Supergirl
74. Son of the Mask
75. Steel

Howe_zat

Nothing from the third set of 25 ended up in the unwatchable category this time (everything below superman III), not even Jonah Hex which is at most 60% of a film. A sign of the rising quality of these things.

It's actually going to be a while before I can complete the 100 as some of the films on my list aren't out yet, but the DC movies have definitely had a few cracks at that bottom 10.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not seen all of them, but largely appreciate that top ten. Few of my favourite films of any kind in there. Good stuff Howe. Have a Buxtons drink break

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah a solid top 10 there. I love Winter Soldier but really tough for me to put it over BB and especially TDK. Would be interesting to see where Wonder Woman ends up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TDK is top for me but I’m okay with winter soldier being there

A lot of time for the crow btw

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm more surprised by TBB over the TDK. TBB is very good, no doubt, but TDK is just special

Scarlett

Banned
Top 75 Superhero Films from Before the middle of a few years ago or whatever

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Awesome film. Very Bourne-like in its action and design but somehow pulls this off while a man wears a flag. The thing keeping it going is how Evans manages to convince us that Cap is such an effective force of sheer bloody decency that the right decisions are naturally going to get made even when everything's going to ****. I didn't know of the winter soldier story in the comics before watching this so it kept me guessing too. Top banana

2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight

4. The Avengers - It's hard to separate the quality of this film from the size of the achievement that making it was, but it's an effing huge one, so here we are. I think it looks a bit dodgy in places, and the Whedontalk can get a bit much, but meh. An underrated aspect of it is how every action beat in the finale represents a genuine character moment as well as a bit for the kids to punch the air to. This film has a guitar solo of a third act.

5. X-Men 2
6. Spider-man 2
7. Blade
8. The Crow
9. X-Men
10. Spider-Man

11. Iron Man - I put this outside the top 10 because unlike Avengers, its ending leaves a little to be desired and features Jeff Bridges going crazy for no reason. But it had one job and that's to sell me on Down Jr and Tony Stark, at which it very much succeeded.

12. Captain America - Has a better baddie than Iron Man but the script isn't as clever. It's a well put together thing that manages to make Steve Rogers: Perfect Human into someone you can get behind.

13. Iron Man III - This is a bizarre film. The main villain is apparently PTSD. I enjoy it, including the mid film twist, but I can get why it'd rub you the wrong way. You can see the same workings from Shane Black that made films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang so good, and you can see why Marvel didn't invite him back.

14. Watchmen - My main memory of watching this 8 years ago is how flipping long it was, but on rewatch that's doing it a disservice. It has to rush a couple of things to set up the third act but otherwise the story is a carefully crafted thing that needs every quiet scene. Unlike later Snyder films it follows through with its big ideas until the end.

15. Superman II
16. Superman
17. Hellboy
18. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

19. Thor - Thing I my have been a bit harsh on it putting it down here, it's fine. Has some wit to it and like the other opening Marvel efforts introduces its main character well. But there's not a lot of memorable moments that aren't in the first act.

20. The Dark Knight Rises - On its own this would be fine, but it's not really fit to tie its predecessors' boots. While the storytelling and dialogue in TDK was meticulous, this feels bloated and winding, and a good creative premise is a bit wasted. Worst decision was having the best character/actor in the trilogy (Caine's Alfred) leave for half of it. It has some brilliant character moments and a brilliant final scene for the whole trilogy.

21. Iron Man 2 - It's servicable. I like what they did with Justin Hammer. Tony Stark verges too close to being an arsehole in a lot of this for it to keep all the charm of its predecessor.

22. Blade II

23. Kick-Ass - I feel like there's probably some point it's trying to make by veering so wildly between pitch-black cynicism and juvenile glee, and I've missed it. Otherwise, this a sometimes funny piece of nonsense with creative action.

24. V for Vendetta

25. Thor: The Dark World - I feel like people rag on this too much for being not memorable, but yeah, it's not memorable. Total waste of your Chris Ecclestone. Still a decent world-building attempt and has its ace in its Thor-Loki dialogue, shame there's not more of that.

26. Batman (1989)
27. The Rocketeer

28. The Incredible Hulk - The forgotten stepchild that Marvel likes to keep in the cupboard under the stairs. It's okay.

29. Dredd - Go into this expecting a simple B-movie and you'll get exactly what you're after. Pacy and (good) action heavy. Completely misses any opportunity for wit or satire though.

30. The Mask

31. The Wolverine - This promises to be a creative, modern conspiracy thriller and gets two thirds of the way through one before having a complete eye-roll of an ending. Close but no cigar.

32. Superman Returns

33. Kick-Ass 2 - It's pretty much the same as the previous one, except this one detrimentally adds in a slew of teen drama nonsense with all your least favourite high school archetype characters.

34. League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

35. The Amazing Spider-Man - There's nothing in this film that offends me, but holy crap is it pointless. The sole justification for anything that happens in this is 'because the good Spiderman films did it'. Anything that doesn't follow that template is shoved into sequel-building, because this is totally gonna be its own universe you guys! There is no reason for this film.

36. Blade Trinity
37. The Shadow
38. Swamp Thing
39. Batman (1966)
40. Tank Girl

41. X-men: First Class - Taking the place of 'best film I didn't like' from Hulk. This film has a good cast, good direction, a bunch of other this that make it well made, just hate every decision they made with these characters. And it's full of my personal bugbear trope, which is saying comic book names with gravitas stolen entirely from source material and not remotely justified in the film.

42. Hulk
43. Daredevil
44. Judge Dredd
45. Elektra

46. Man of Steel - I can see why some people like this version of Superman. My complaint isn't really 'too grim', it's just that if you're going grim, you'd better have some other way to keep me entertained, like theme, chracater, creative consequential action, something. But here we have out-of-order scenes in the first half that serve only to undermine any theme or character decisions, and the action is 100% pointless punching and building-smashing. It's boring.

47. Green Lantern - I didn't hate this as much as I expected to hate it. It's not even the worst film to come out in 2011 to have 'green' in the title. But yeah it's quite bad. Lots of time wasting on cheap scenes about Hal Jordans'' problems with his girlfriend, and when you do go into space the CGI is the worst released this decade. Hope you enjoy Ryan Reynolds' floating head.

48. Ghost Rider

49. Punisher: War Zone - A good one for Bad Movie Night. There is an understanding that you are not looking at anyone's finest work, but at least there might be a sense that the film is laughing with you. This may be the best we can do with the Punisher.

50. X-men Origins: Wolverine - Unlike the above this film takes itself 100% seriously. It shouldn't.

51. The Green Hornet - It's a comedy that isn't funny. I gather that the unsympathetic comedy protagonist is a thing, but they can't be an example of the actual worst person on the planet for it to work.

52. Spawn
53. Spider-Man 3
54. The Phantom

55. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - If you are wondering why Nicolas Cage is now a meme, watch this film. Ciran Hinds and Idris Elba are in this, I have no idea how that happened.

56. Jonah Hex - Clearly unfinished and chopped to death in the editing room, probably because what story it had made little sense at the best of times. It's a shame, waste of an interesting premise.

57. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
58. Batman Forever
59. The Crow: City of Angels
60. X-men The Last Stand
61. Fantastic Four
62. Superman III
63. The Spirit
64. The Punisher (2004)
65. Batman Returns
66. The Punisher (1989)
67. Return of Swamp Thing
68. Howard the Duck
69. Barb Wire
70. Superman IV
71. Catwoman
72. Batman & Robin
73. Supergirl
74. Son of the Mask
75. Steel
Can suggest 3 movies.
Deadpool
Defendor
Sucker Punch

I’m not sure if you would consider any of those as superhero movies.