• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Dan

Global Moderator
How many of those 3 batsmen could have done what KP did to Steyn at Leeds?
ABdV can pull out some seriously nuts shots at times, even in Test cricket. He's doing a lot in recent months/years to overthrow that downhill skiier tag IMO.

Where do you rank Clarke, btw?

Spark

Global Moderator
How many of those 3 batsmen could have done what KP did to Steyn at Leeds?
You're fooling yourself if you don't think Amla and ABdV are capable of an innings like that. Particularly Amla, just because he looks so serene doesn't mean he can't tear bowlers to bloody shreds if he really wants to.

Spark

Global Moderator
He barely seemed to be scoring that quickly too. Didn't outwardly appear to be playing especially aggressively or pushing extra hard for boundaries, but was still 90 off 80 or something crazy like that.

Ace4

Would be great to see how Virat plays, he's been struggling with form lately. Hope some new talent also is given chance and he does really well. Both bowler and batsman.

Contra

cricinfo said:
MS Dhoni, speaking about his batting, said he felt he should not be conservative during the five-Test series against England.
"For me, what's important is that I have to be far more aggressive. That's something that I have observed. When I play freely, I tend to fare much better than when I try to play like a proper batsman. I think it's something important to back your instinct and not think too much about the situation," Dhoni said.
In his seven Tests in England, Dhoni has scored 429 runs at 39, which is slightly better than his career average of 38.77. "In a set of six to seven batsmen, it's important that I back my instincts and try and score boundaries. That way I will score more runs rather than playing for time. That can be the job of other batsmen but I feel that it's important I should go for the shots."
This is good news if you are an Indian fan, a few years late but still, he's acknowledged that he is going to have far more success going for his shots regardless of the situation than trying to bat like a proper batsmen. His batting has gone up a notch in recent times as he has looked to be more aggressive.

karan316

This is good news if you are an Indian fan, a few years late but still, he's acknowledged that he is going to have far more success going for his shots regardless of the situation than trying to bat like a proper batsmen. His batting has gone up a notch in recent times as he has looked to be more aggressive.
I hope after the series he acknowledges the fact that he is just wasting a spot in the test side from years.

Cruxdude

Does this Srilankan performance rise the expectation for the Indian team or what? Surely Cook will come back to form and Anderson and Broad will rip us a new one, won't they?

Contra

Does this Srilankan performance rise the expectation for the Indian team or what? Surely Cook will come back to form and Anderson and Broad will rip us a new one, won't they?
It definitely raises expectations, England haven't been terrible in the test series so India can't take things for granted, and the last 2 test series we played shows that we have not been able to capitalize from winning positions, a bit like England in recent times as well. I hope they seriously reconsider Umesh Yadav for the English tour, especially after what Prasad has done to England. Can't help but feel that we are focusing too much on swinging conditions.

I can see Cook coming back into form for sure, but I back our batting to put up the big totals this time around.

Cruxdude

I don't think there is that big a difference in the quality of the bowlers. I actually think ours is slightly better but we cannot argue looking at the results. We need Umesh Yadav in the squad. It is an 18 member squad FFS and we don't have Umesh Yadav in it. Also we need our batting to stand up and be counted like Sanga, Jaya and Mathews did.

Daemon

Our pacers are better than theirs imo. Whether they'll actually bowl as well as SL have done, I'm not too confident of. We also have a big drop in quality in the spinners department.

Matthews performance with the ball is no doubt also going to further the case for Binny's selection which should weaken the attack further.