• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Totalitarianism gone mad AKA the China thread

Flem274*

123/5
- law applies to non-permanent residents of HK who commit crimes under the law outside HK - i.e. applies to everyone around the world
does this mean a chinese/hong kong or even an nz only citizen who says 'china is gay lol' in auckland can be extradited for trial in china?

because when that happens i hope they get sent a used condom instead

harsh.ag

"Non-permanent residents of HK" must refer to someone who's actually lived in HK at some point(?)

That would still include citizens of other nations, of course

honestbharani

assume residents means someone who currently resides in HK, that is, is on the books there as a tenant or whatever but says something bad about CCP even when he is not in HK, he is liable to be tried.

Flem274*

123/5
that's disgusting. used condoms should be all they get if they try it.

im not gonna post what i think the pacific nations should start doing because i cbf with idealists thinking we can cuddle it out through international cooperation.

a strong ccp is an existential threat to the way of life the pacific is becoming accustomed to. nz and australian foreign policy needs to start funding hong kong and ughyr dissidents yesterday. a precautionary aircraft carrier for ourselves might not go amiss either. trump is stupid enough to give us one on the cheap. never been a more perfect time for morrison to become even more unpopular and jacinda to alienate her base and confuse the social conservatives.

i wasn't alive in the 1930s but im getting strong 1930s vibes from the ccp.

oops i did post it. oh well.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

im not gonna post what i think the pacific nations should start doing because i cbf with idealists thinking we can cuddle it out through international cooperation.

a strong ccp is an existential threat to the way of life the pacific is becoming accustomed to. nz and australian foreign policy needs to start funding hong kong and ughyr dissidents yesterday. a precautionary aircraft carrier for ourselves might not go amiss either. trump is stupid enough to give us one on the cheap. never been a more perfect time for morrison to become even more unpopular and jacinda to alienate her base and confuse the social conservatives.

half of these countries are already having second thoughts tbh as the ccp isn't exactly being... subtle about their colonialism in the region

Chewie

assume residents means someone who currently resides in HK, that is, is on the books there as a tenant or whatever but says something bad about CCP even when he is not in HK, he is liable to be tried.

No, a "permanent resident of Hong Kong" is the equivalent of a Hong Kong citizen (but because Hong Kong isn't a country as such, it's a different term). So a non-"permanent resident" is basically anyone in the world.

Chewie

We have three Chinese MPs who are essentially CCP agents but claim to represent the views of New Zealand Chinese

Chewie

does this mean a chinese/hong kong or even an nz only citizen who says 'china is gay lol' in auckland can be extradited for trial in china?

because when that happens i hope they get sent a used condom instead
We don't have an extradition treaty with China... we do have one with Hong Kong however

Starfighter

No, a "permanent resident of Hong Kong" is the equivalent of a Hong Kong citizen (but because Hong Kong isn't a country as such, it's a different term). So a non-"permanent resident" is basically anyone in the world.
Would think then that 'non permanent resident' means 'resident (of Hong Kong) who is not permanent', i.e. has a some kind of temporary residency like a work visa (Australia is full of this type). If you are offered some sort of job posting there I'd be very cagey about taking it if you've ever said anything negative about China online.

I saw Sam Dastyari had an editorial on news.com claiming that we don't need to spend any money on defence and we should spend it on things we already spend staggering sums on. Now, someone remind me of why he's no longer a senator again?

Spark

Global Moderator
People are being very brave if they think this law is only going to be applied to HK residents/workers who say anti-China stuff overseas, as opposed to basically anyone who says anti-China stuff overseas who transits through China and can be made An Example Of for domestic political purposes or to intimidate some country China is having a spat with.

Would think then that 'non permanent resident' means 'resident (of Hong Kong) who is not permanent', i.e. has a some kind of temporary residency like a work visa (Australia is full of this type). If you are offered some sort of job posting there I'd be very cagey about taking it if you've ever said anything negative about China online.

I saw Sam Dastyari had an editorial on news.com claiming that we don't need to spend any money on defence and we should spend it on things we already spend staggering sums on. Now, someone remind me of why he's no longer a senator again?

The heavy overlap between "we should become independent of the US defence umbrella" and "we should spend less on defence" people truly fascinates me.

harsh.ag

That's a dumb thing to do, targeting foreigners, as opposed to just evil in the case of HK residents.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's a dumb thing to do, targeting foreigners, as opposed to just evil in the case of HK residents.
I agree, and yet they've done it multiple times over the past year (the Canadian cases being the most alarming ones).

vcs

Apparently the UK is welcoming HK residents, which will no doubt please GIMH if zorax decides to take them up on it

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
(i suggest that this sort of overnight citizenship stunt would probably be significantly harder to do if England were still in the EU)